“Working together to build a safety culture” the Workplace Safety and Insurance System (WSIS) was formed given the overlap in strategic initiatives. Their vision: a safe and healthy workplace for Nova Scotians, and sustainable safety and insurance services.
WSIS Strategic Goals are:
- Improve outcomes for workers and employers;
- Improve service delivery;
- Ensure effective governance of the System;
- Ensure financial sustainability of the Workplace Safety and Insurance System
WSIS system includes workers, employers, the agencies-Workers' Advisers Program (WAP), Workers' Compensation Appeals Tribunal (WCAT), Occupational Health and Safety (OHS) and Workers' Compensation Board of Nova Scotia (WCB)-and others who provide services in the System.
Workplace Safety and Insurance System (WSIS)
- Workers' Compensation Board of Nova Scotia (WCB)
- Established by the provincial government in 1917 as a “no-fault” workplace accident insurance agency. The Act was designed to protect workers and employers from financial loss due to workplace injuries. Employers fully fund this system.
- Worker Advisor Program of Nova Scotia (WAP)
- A legislated provincial government service, independent of WCB, which provides access to legal services for eligible injured workers under the Workers' Compensation Act. The WAP is completely funded by the WCB through employer premiums.
- Workers' Compensation Appeals Tribunal (WCAT)
- An external appeals agency, independent of the WCB,considered the final level of appeal before Court of Appeal.WCAT has exclusive jurisdiction to determine whether the Act bars a right of action against employers.
- Occupational Health and Safety (Department of Labour and Workforce Development)
- Works with partners to “reduce the incidence of injury and illness of employees,improve the understanding of occupational health and safety standards by all workplace parties, and improve health and safety conditions in the workplace by means of research, inspection, investigation and enforcement of legislation.”
OEA's Across Canada